Wednesday, September 1, 2010

D.A.R.T.-ing (and falling) around Davidson

Mile run:  Tuesday:4,  Wednesday: 4

Today I got to do something new.  I heard about a group in Davidson called the Davidson Area Running Team  (http://davidsonarearunningteam.blogspot.com/) that has runs almost everyday of the week in Davidson.  I got in contact with the head of the group (Chad) and he gave me the info on the group.  The day i was focused on is Wednesday since (as of now) Jo is driving the bus in the afternoons so I'd be able to go over there.  They run at around a 8 minute mile pace, so this would be the perfect opportunity for me to pick up my pace.  I've really slowed down since I left New York.  Van and Marky really took me under their wing, and had me running some of the best times of my life up there.  I think of Mark pushing me to PR's in both 10K and 5K on the same day 2 hours apart.  That was crazy.  And of course the 6 hour drive through the 33 inches of snow with Van to get to Killington.  I miss those guys.

Anyways, fast running was the order of the day. So i met the group at the CVS in Davidson at 6.  Just a really friendly, nice group of people.  We headed off down the main street towards the greenway. They definately took off, and i got the old feeling I had when heading off towards the Brooklyn Bridge in the old day.  I was huffing and puffing pretty quickly.  Chad was ncie enough to stay a little bit back with me, but we weren't more than about 20 feet behind the main group.  I was able to stick with them for about a mile and a half which was better than i expected.  Once we hit a big uphill though I was done keeping up with them.  Chad gave me the directions to meet back at the start and off he went.  I threw the headphones on and followed the road.  When i got to the bottom of a hill there was a gravel path up ahead and a road to the left.  The street name didn't look familiar so i wasn't sure what to do.  So I walked over to the gravel path to see what was ahead that way, and of course, with my great ankles I wiped out.  Went down hard, and cut open both of my hands, and my knee.  So i decided that no matter what I was avoiding the gravel.  So i went back on the road, and surprisingly, it brought me back right where I was suppossed to go.  Of course I ran the last 2 miles with blood running down my leg and hands.

Leg after cleaning off the running blood

Hand not looking too bad after I cleaned it up.


After the run was over, we went to Summit Coffee, where as a newbie, I got my drink bought for me by Chad.

Overall, a good time, and i look forward to many more runs with the D.A.R.T. team.

Map of today's run:

No comments:

Post a Comment