Friday, October 1, 2010

So Long to September

Miles run:   Tuesday: 4, Wednesday: 4 + 2, Thursday: 4

The month of September drew to a close yesterday.

Final stats for the month:
Miles: 91.95
Runs: 22
Time: 15:37:11
Calories burned: 13065

Considering I missed a whole week due to illness, I guess it's ok.  Got a lot of running to do in the next few months.

Tuesday was the usual boring treadmill run, but with Jo out to work at 6, that's all i can do.

Wednesday I was looking forward to hitting it with the Davidson Area Running Team after a week off due to illness.  All looked good as I left the house, but 3/4 of the way to Davidson, the skies opened up.  After being sick and missing a whole week of training, I realized that the combination of rain + cold was not a good idea.  So it was off to the gym again for another treadmill workout.  to try to simulate the run I missed with DART I hit the treadmill for 2.5 miles at 8:34 pace, after which I was nearly dead, and then another 1.5 miles at my usual pace.  The last 1.5 miles were pretty tough since I was drained.

One of the things I'm trying to do to train for this marathon is to split up my Wednesday long run.  When I was in New Jersey and working from home on Wednesday's I could get my 6-10 run in before work.  It also helped that the sun comes up around 45 minutes earlier in Jersey than here.

Anyways,  I'm not going to be able to get it in before work here, so I've decided to try and split it up.  To ease into it, the last few weeks, I've been doing 4 in the morning and then 2 after work.  So after work it was back to the Y for another 2 on the treadmill.  It was ok.

Thursdays, Julia has dance after school until 8, so I have the opportunity to not wake up at 4:30AM and try and squeeze it in, I can actually go after work.  I've been trying to go into Charlotte and run around the town. This week I thought I'd hit some of the course of the upcoming Dowd YMCA half marathon and start at the Dowd and run to the corner of Queens and Queens.  Yes this is how the roads go in Charlotte.  There are around 3 different roads named Queens and at some intersections instead of the road continuing on it turns right, and the street across is called something else.

Here's the Queens and Queens example:



Brilliant, huh?  Regardless, it was about a 4-mile loop.  I didn't realize quite how hilly it was.  A bit of a struggle coming back.  I'm starting to feel like I don't run well in the late afternoon/evening anymore.  I used to, but now i seem to struggle.  It could also be that it's the hottest part of the day here.  Before I went out, it really looked like it was going to rain, but after spending the last 2 days on the treadmill, I really felt like I needed to get outside.  So I took the chance, and prayed the whole time that it wouldn't start raining.  Luckily it held out.  At the end of the 3.98 mile course my Nike + said.....3.73!?!?!  Since it's a new ipod and sensor, I knew it needed to be calibrated, so I skipped the shower (and hot tub) at the Dowd, and headed for the track at Davidson College.  After the half hour drive (and probable muscle stiffness), I hit the track for a 1 lap calibration run, followed by a 1 lap verification.  Seemed pretty close now, so hopefully things will be closer going forward.

This weekend probably going to do a light 3-4 miler Saturday, and Jo and I are going to do around 9 (hopefully) in downtown while Julia is in Hebrew school.

In case anyone wants to try the Dowd run, it's down below:


Also this week, I joined daily mile.com.  It's almost like a facebook for runners/athletes.  You can sync with either Nike+ or Garmin, and compare with other runners, get friends, have competitions, etc.  Check it out, it's pretty neat

No comments:

Post a Comment